Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A scary day teaches me a lesson

As those of you that read my blog on a regular basis know, I fell a week or so ago and scraped up my left leg pretty bad.  We washed it with soap and water and put Neosporin on it.  It was seeming to do real well except that I had some swelling.

On Monday it was itching and I just barely touched a real small scab and it came off and blood started flowing down my leg.  I yelled for Linda to get me a towel and when she got to me there was blood squirting about four inches.  We covered it with a towel and tied another one around it real tight and headed to the hospital.  We left behind a big pool of blood where my foot had been on the new carpeting.  By the time we got to the hospital it had quit bleeding so I waited for over four hours to be seen.

Then I saw a student and she took the towels off and looked and said it looked superficial and put a bandage on it and sent me on my way.  I got home and started to clean up my food and leg from all the blood and it opened up again  a started squirting again.  I put paper towels over it and tied another towel around it and waited.  It quit bleeding again.  So now I am keeping tight bandages on it until I can see a doctor next Monday.  No more bleeding.

I am also wearing compression sox and keeping my leg up.  The swelling and redness has gone down to about normal.

For the past several years I have had swelling in my legs and doctors have told me to wear compression sox but I didn't because it looks goofy with shorts.  Lesson learned.  I would rather look goofy than see blood squirting out the side of my leg.

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.


No comments:

Post a Comment