Wednesday, December 25, 2013

2013-12-25 - Doing some smoking

I had to keep busy while my wife was in Missouri visiting family and friends, so I did some smoking.

I smoked a tube of bologna and a pork butt.  I made my own rubs for them.  On the bologna I put some slices in it and rubbed with yellow mustard, grey poupon, and some steak sauce.  Then I patted brown sugar on it and smoked it for around five hours.







It came out pretty good.  Now that it has time to sit, the flavor has really developed and it is pretty dog gone good.

The rub for the pork butt was brown sugar, kosher salt, chili powder, cayenne pepper flakes, cumin, onion salt, and black pepper.  I smoked it for about eight hours until the bone was ready to just pull out.




It has a very nice bark on it and the flavor is delicious.  I wrapped it in aluminum foil and let it set until it had cooled and then put it in the refrigerator.  I tasted it the next day and loved it. 

Linda got home and likes both.

I may be ready to try a brisket.

No comments:

Post a Comment