Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Linda and David Day

We got up yesterday with no plans so we decided to do one of the things that we have done since getting married so many wonderful years ago.  We took a drive.

We started out at Bar-B-Cutie BBQ place in McAllen, Texas.  Bar-B-Cutie Menu 
It was very good.  Like a lot of things in Texas, the quantities were huge.

From there we just took off.  We found a side road and headed north.  As we drove we saw this group of houses and just love the architecture.
On this house the round part on the right side has a spiral staircase.  So cool.













As we were driving Linda was looking at the map and the GPS and we decided to go to Raymondville just because we had not been there before.  So we are driving down the road and came across many citrus groves.  There were people parked everywhere with their pickup trucks selling oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit and watermelons.  Here are a couple of pictures of a orange grove.
Here is one of the canals that they use to water the citrus groves and other crops.  They also fish in these canals and catch all kinds of fish.  The water that is in them runs very fast and a young man drowned the other day when he fell in to one.


We got to Raymondville and there was nothing to see so we headed to South Padre Island since it was a sunny day.

My last blog about our South Padre Island trip had several pictures of Bobz Place from the parking lot.  Here is the other side of the tourist trap thing facing the highway.

Here are some pictures of the beach again.  Since it was a beautiful day I even waded out a little ways.  The water was cold when it first hit me but then got a little warmer.  I don't think I would have wanted to swim.  The sea gull followed me everywhere I went.  I think I found a friend.  There are a couple of pictures of the beach and the hotels going both ways.  The guy fishing actually is taking a small fish off of the hook that he caught.
We finished up our day on the Island by stuffing ourselves with fried and New Orleans style shrimp.  I only had one beer since I had to drive home.

We left about 10:30 in the morning and did not get back home until around 7:15.  What a wonderful day.

I hope you are enjoying our travels and the pictures we take when I remember to take them.  There are so many times that I wish I had taken a picture and did not.  

Until later........................

No comments:

Post a Comment